Idye pot safe for food?
  • Hi,

I know Idye is non-toxic, but I was wondering if it's also safe with food. My mother-in-law inadvertently cooked some great pasta sauce in the same pot I used for dying my daughter's dress black. I told her this when I came home and saw the pot with the new sauce in it and she said it's okay that it "will burn off" while cooking. My pot is not enamel but stainless steel. I'm skeptical to eat this until I know further of the safety. Or should I just throw it out??

Thanks everyone,
    Michelle C.
  • Michelle,

We always endorse good housekeeping and good lab habits, which means that utensils used for dyeing and painting should not be used for food. Because of that, we never recommend using utensils for food after they have been used for dyeing.

However, the decision is yours to make and you can download MSDS for review from our website. If you didn't scour your pot really well after you finished dyeing, we would strongly advise against eating any food cooked in it.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jenny
  • Thank you Jenny. I'll be throwing out the sauce! :)
  • Hello,

I was wondering whether it was ok to use the pot for cooking if I boiled hot water in it (maybe with soap?) after having used it for dyeing... I know you don't advise it, but I don't have a single pot that I could spare and at the moment I can't afford to go out shopping for large pots...
    (I have Idye Poly)

Gioia
  • Please see my response to Michelle's question in this thread.

Jenny
  • Jenny, I accidentally DID eat food out of a pot I used for polydye, and didn't notice until the bottom of the bowl there was a slightly blue tint. Is there a list of symptoms I might keep an eye out for? Or do you have recommendations on what to do if the product is ingested? I did wash the pot a few times plus ran it through the dishwasher before this, but alas, still blue.
  • Hi K,

My apologies for the delayed response!
    I've attached the SDS sheet for this dye: http://jacquardproducts.com/assets/jacquard-site/support/msds/idye/417 idye Brilliant Blue.pdf
    My best recommendation is to talk to your health provider.

annette
  • Hi There. My dog ate the package of brown dye. I saw that there was no data on toxicity for animals. Any updates? He is a mess (white dog, brown dye), but seems to be okay.
  • Hey Daniel,

Here is what the SDS suggests:
    Emergency and First Aid Procedures
    Eye Contact: Wash immediately with large amounts of water, occasionally lifting the
    upper and lower lids until no evidence of product remain. Get medical attention. Do not
    wear contact lenses while handling.
    Skin Contact: Wash immediately with soap and plenty of water. If a temporary skin
    reaction occurs, it should be treated as allergic contact dermatitis. Launder contaminated
    clothing before reuse.
    Ingestion: If swallowed, do not induce vomiting. Qualified medical personnel should
    remove product by gastric levage and catharsis. Get medical attention.
    Inhalation: If inhaled, remove to fresh air. If not breathing, give artificial respiration,
    preferably, mouth to mouth. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Call a physician.

Here is the link to the full SDS: http://www.jacquardproducts.com/assets/jacquard-site/support/msds/idye/427 idye Brown.pdf

At the very least I would suggest bathing your dog to remove all traces of the dye from his fur and skin and contacting your vet.

annette