• I recently used the gun metal iDye Poly using the stove top method and annoyingly managed to get quite a few splashes on my white microwave. Have only just noticed them so they have been there a few days. Ordinary household cleaners don't work so was going to use a strong bleach solution - but thought I'd better check first! Any suggestions?

Poppy
  • yikes! The bleach might work, especially if you can make some sort of paste of it (a bit mixed with baking soda?). This can be a bit difficult as the plastic on the microwave is probably some sort of poly product.
    I'd stay away from products like GoofOff as I believe that can damage the finish of the microwave.
    wish I had the magic fix for you...

annette
  • Thanks for your suggestion Annette - I may contact Panasonic to see what they have to say about the finish on the microwave etc ......

Poppy
  • ah - that's a great idea. They may have just the right suggestion. Let them know the dye is a disperse dye for polyester.

annette
  • I have a similar problem. Spatters of dark blue on our white stove and toaster oven (and a bit on the yellow-painted wall behind the stove). The stove is the worst problem. Has anybody had any success in removing dark IDye Poly/Nylon from surfaces?
  • Is your stove enamel or powder coated? In most cases if the surface isn't very scratched or isn't a poly type finish a gentle abrasive like BonAmi should do the job. Or you might try one of the brands of 'erasers' like the Mr. Clean Magic Erasers.

annette
  • Thanks, Annette! I remember hearing about those "Mr. Clean Magic Erasers" but I've never used them and don't even really know what they are. We tried "Softscrub" and that did absolutely nothing. I think I may look at the "Magic Eraser" thing and see what that even is; if that doesn't seem wise or doesn't work, we'll try the Bon Ami, although I worry that Bon Ami might end up scratching the finish. Of course, right now it looks much worse than some scratches probably would, so . . .

Just in case, while we're in the "idea gathering" phase, anybody else got any other ideas?