Poly outdoor slip covers
  • I have a outdoor couch that is 100% poly. It is white and I want to dye it the sliver grey. How do I go about doing this? Can I use the washing machine?
  • Hi K,

Thanks for writing in.
    Presuming you are talking about a slip cover for your couch, our iDye Poly is the dye you will want to use. Dye #JID1462 is a Silver Grey. However, because polyester is difficult to dye we recommend using the stove top method for dyeing it. I know that it is often difficult to find a container large enough to hold something like a slipcover, but if it is not too large an enamel canning pot could work. (I've found several at my local second hand stores.) For more about the iDye Poly check out the info here: http://jacquardproducts.com/idye.html
    If, in fact, you do not have a slipcover to work with you'll want to look at one of our paints. I would recommend the Dye-Na-Flow paint. This is a very flowable, transparent paint that you can brush onto the couch. To set the paint in this application you would use the Air Fix product. More info about the Dye-Na-Flow here:http://jacquardproducts.com/dye-na-flow.html and the Air Fix here:
    http://jacquardproducts.com/airfix.html

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
    annette
  • I think it will be to big for the stove. Can I do it in the washing machine and put it on hot? Also can I do it a couple of time to get the color I want?
  • Trying to dye polyester in the washing machine, even with the hottest water available can be very frustrating. Your dye will take very lightly and you may loose most of it during the rinse cycle. You certainly can try it, and you can also redye the piece. If you are working with a top loader you may even want to heat water on the stove and add it to the machine before inserting the fabric.

hope this helps
    annette
  • Hi!

I have a similar question so adding it to this thread:

My outdoor sofa covers are too big to fit in a pot on a stove. However, my front loader has a 95'Celcius cycle, which is around 2 hours long. Does that sound promising?

Also, do the dyes stain the machine? My neighbour dyed something red and then everything else came out pink for weeks. I have no idea what brand she used or whether she followed the instructions carefully, but I'm nervous about the same thing happening to me.

Kind regards,
    A
  • Hi Augusta,

Wow! 95C is HOT for a washer, I'm impressed.
    I would say that you have a better chance than most of being successful with dyeing in your machine with the ability to take the temps that high for that long.
    Generally speaking the dye shouldn't stain your washer, although there is the possibility that the gasket around the door might be dyed, depending on just what it is made of. As for dyeing following loads of clothing, that shouldn't be a problem so long as you clean the machine (especially the reservoir in the door gasket that most front loader have) thoroughly. Check your user's guide for the best method for cleaning your machine. Also, it's a good idea to run an empty wash cycle after cleaning the machine.

Hope this helps
    annette