Dorlands melting
  • Hi! I'm trying to make really thick, knifed-on paintings using a large proportion of Dorlands Wax Medium - almost entirely medium in fact with very little oil paint mixed in and sometimes just straight Dorlands. I saw another post about something similar and the response mentioned it melts at 75 degrees Fahrenheit. I live in a hot and humid part of the country and even though I have air conditioning, my studio often gets into the low 80s. So I was wondering about a couple things:
    How much of an issue will that be for the knife strokes melting into one another rather than keeping their shape? Can I prevent that from happening by keeping the room temperature lower?
    Should I be concerned about the solvent fumes if the room temperature is periodically that warm?
    Will temperatures that warm prevent the painting from drying sufficiently? (In my previous experience using Dorlands it seemed like it took even longer to dry than straight oil paint - which sounds like a contradiction to what I've read..)
    Thanks!
  • Hi Shawn,

I checked with a couple other folks here. The consensus is that it should be fine at around 80 degrees F. One recommendation was to do a test - on a piece of scrap wood or canvas trowel a few strokes with nice big peaks - leave it for a few days with your a.c. set around 85 F....
    And we'd be interested to know your results.

annette
  • Thanks for your response. So far it seems like the raised areas are a little flatter after a couple days (before I set my AC to below 75) and the surface looks kind of shiny-or liquidy I guess - especially in the areas that are almost entirely wax. But I'll do the experiment for real and let you know what happens.
    I appreciate the info!
    Shawn
  • Thanks! I'd love to know what you get.

annette