Mordant?
  • I haven't used acid dyes for a while - do I need to use a mordant to dye wool yarn? If so what should I use?

Judi
  • You don't need to use a mordant to dye wool with acid dyes; mordants are needed only for mordant dyes, which include many natural dyes. The auxiliary chemicals needed to dye wool with acid dyes are not mordants, although you can use mordants to change the colors that other dyes produce.

What you need to dye wool with acid dyes will be an acid, such as vinegar or citric acid, plus, in some cases, a leveling agent to make the color take more evenly; the need for the latter depends entirely on what type of acid dye you are using. Not all acid dyes require a leveling agent.

To find out which auxiliary chemicals you need, examine a recipe for the specific type and brand of dye you're using, preferably one provided by the manufacturer who produced your dyes. If you're using Jacquard Acid Dyes, look at their instructions.

-Paula
  • Thanks for the answer - I was thinking of natural dye. Yes, I am using Jacquard acid dye.

Judi
  • Hi I am an amateur Angler who uses Jacquard Acid Dyes for dyeing
    Fly Tying Materials.

I have been wondering about using Tin to brighten the materials and had
    wondered if Tin could be used with Acid dyes?

If it does work would you :-

A) add it to the dyepot along with the material before adding the dye,,
    B) add it as same time as the dye,
    C) add it after the acid dye has been exhausted
    D) add to materials which have been previously dyed.

Thanks for your help , .....your materials are great and your customer service terrific

Best wishes

Gavin

• Hi Gavin,

I'm going to have to check witht he chemist on this one - I'll get back to you as soon as I have some info for you.

annette