Mixing Dye na flow
  • I tried mixing blue and red dye na flow to create purple. I started painting on cotton, as the colors started bleeding through the fabric it almost seems the colors separated. The effect actually worked really well, I had purple flowers ended up bleeding quite a bit, but for each brush stroke one side was red, the middle was purple, and the other side was blue! If I don't want this effect how would I go about preventing it?
  • Hi Nadine,

....I'm a little stumped with this one. The only thing that occurs to me is that the two different pigments have different some different weight/volume thing going.
    Generally speaking we consider the colors within a paint line completely intermixable - I'm going to run this one past the chemist - as I said, I'm a little stumped.

annette
  • Hi Nadine,

Here's what our chemist has to say: "Basically, the like pigment particles like themselves and want to come together. a wetting agent/dispersant can help to separate them. It can often be fixed with additional wetting of the system. The addition of a wetting agent like alcohol may help. And while I have not tried it myself, the Versatex dispersant may be a fix as well."

hope this helps,
    annette

• That's interesting! I did spray my fabric with water so it was slightly damp. I wanted the colors to bleed so it would be more of a water color effect. I will try the alcohol next time. Like I said, the effect was actually really interesting and looked better than what I had originally thought to do!!!
  • It is interesting - makes me want to play with more of the colors to see what happens, with and without the wetting agent.
    I love when someone comes in with a result I've not seen!!
    annette