Soda Ash and Manutex
  • Can I mix Soda ash with Mantex as an alternative to adding to dye.
  • Can anyone help please
  • Hi Maura,

If I am understanding your question the answer is...yes, BUT you will shorten the life of the dye hugely. In fact, once the soda ash is added to the print paste/dye mix or directly to dye you have about 20 minutes to 1 hour to get it on the fabric in order to effectively dye the fabric.
    Perhaps an easier way would be to presoak your fabric in a soda ash/water solution, allow it to dry, and print onto that. Once printing is done cover the fabric with plastic and allow to 'batch' over night.
    This link will take you to our Procion MX instructions - about page seven is a full discussion on how to print thickened Procion MX.
    http://jacquardproducts.com/assets/jacquard-site/product-pages/dyes/procion-mx/Procion MX Instructions.pdf

Hope this helps.
    annette
  • Thank you for reply. I still can't find an answer to my question which is it ok to add the Soda Ash to the Manutex and only mix with dye as required to paint. I am not sure of the chemical reation with only these two items mixed together and how long the Soda ash would remain active without the problem of bonding with the dye.
  • Maura,

In terms of how long the soda ash is viable, the answer is, pretty much forever. However, how the soda ash will affect the life of the Manutex is a question I don't know the answer to.
    I will speak to our chemist today about this issue.

annette
  • Hi Maura,

I spoke with our chemist about mixing the soda ash with the Manutex mixture. He said that over the long term the mixture will be adversely affected by the addition of soda ash, however, it should be fine if you are only storing it for a week or so.

hope this helps
    annette
  • Thanks that's a great help great and thank you for finding the answer to my question.
  • you are most welcome!