Marbling silk scarves
  • Hi, I am about to try out marbling on silk scarves and wondered which paints or inks would be bet for this purpose. I have the jacquard marbling kit but wonder what kind of paint/ ink is in it? I understand on paper people use acrylic paints, but what is best for silk? I also bought some green label jacquard inks because I thought that might be the medium to use. Does anyone know which medium is the best one for my silk scarves? Thank you for your help and advice in advance. Suzanne
  • Hi Suzanne,

The paints in the marbling kit will work with the silk scarves, though you will get a bit of hand from them. Alternative paints would be the Textile Colors, which also might leave a bit of a hand.
    My first recommendation would be to use the Dye-Na-Flow paints. Those are a very transparent, very light handed paint and work beautifully with silk. I've not personally marbled with them but have seen some beautiful pieces by other artists. Keep in mind that they will give you a more transparent coverage and also keep in mind that you'll want to give yourself some practice with the colors to get a handle on what looks best on top of what, etc.
    I've never heard of anyone using the green label dyes as a marbling medium, but that certainly doesn't mean it hasn't been done. Hopefully someone on the forum may have more information.

hope this helps,
    annette
  • Thank you so much for your help. My granddaughter, who is 12, and I have marbled on rice paper and on BFK Rives paper I had around the house. We had fun and some pretty good results, but I think I am going to need a book with more detailed information and tips on silk painting and marbling specifically before I attempt a whole scarf. I ordered 12 12" handkerchiefs to practice on. Do you or anyone else have suggestions for a good book on this subject? Again, thank you for the information. I will get some DyeNaFlow paints and experiment meanwhile! Suzanne
  • Hi Suzanne,

Might want to check out 'Marbling on Fabric' by Daniel and Paula Cohen. This book has been around for years and is the on we have on our research shelves.

annette