Purchased some yarn that bleeds a lot after prolonged contact.
  • The person whom I bought it from says she uses Jacquard and Ashford acid dyes. I have already washed a small knitting project several times with dish soap(it's wool so it felted but that's okay because I intended it to be felted anyway) and now have it soaking in water with a few tablespoons of vinegar for awhile.

I still have the huge skein of yarn there left. Don't know what to do with it. How dangerous is bleeding dye anyway? I had it in my purse for awhile when I bought it but it didn't seem to stain anything. I've handled it a few times without washing my hands after when it didn't leave any visible stain. It tends to stain under prolonged contact such as when working with it it leaves a subtle blue(yes it's blue)hue to my fingers and I wash my hands after. When I first worked with it it didn't stain, then it stained only the very tips of my fingernails, then my whole fingers.
  • Hi Katty,

It sounds as if the dyer didn't rinse the wool thoroughly or the dyes weren't set well. What you are experiencing is called crocking - and as a rule is a result of poor rinsing.
    You can rinse the remaining skein of yarn. The best method, to reduce the chance of felting, is to completely wet the yarn in cool water with synthrapol (or other detergent) then slowly begin to add warm water to the mix, GENTLY agitating the yarn all the while. You will continue to increase the temperature of the rinse bath until the water is quite warm and is running clear. You may notice that more dye begins to come off the yarn as the water becomes warmer.
    Alternatively you could send the yarn back to the dyer, ask her to resteam it and rinse it and send it back to you.

hope this helps
    annette