Dyeing /printing on commercial garment
  • Hi there,
    I was gifted some cotton sleep suits for my baby and can't stand the colour. They are pink/white horizontal stripes all over and I was thinking about dyeing or printing on them to give them a bit of oomph.
    I have some dye na flow, can you use it with rubber stamps?
    Also I have seen people use freezer paper as reverse stencils and tried it without success. What's the best way of achieving these techniques?
    Another option was to create a tie dye/shibori effect but I'm not sure how to do this.
    Any advice or other ideas would be appreciated!
    Thanks
    Lisa
  • Hi Lisa,

Dye-Na-Flow is great for painting, but not so great for stamping or stencil work as it is so liquid. The liquidity prevents it from adhering to the stamp and the lack of viscosity allows the pigment to flow beyond the stencil's boundaries.
    Our best product for stamping and stenciling are either of the screen inks, though for fabric my fave is Versatex. http://jacquardproducts.com/versatex-screen-ink.html
    You could use the Dye-Na-Flow as a tie dye type colorant. Simply tie up the pieces as directed at any of the instructions pages in the Projects section of our website: http://jacquardproducts.com/projects/.
    As for application, best way to apply the color would be with a foam brush. Daub the color onto the piece, turning and applying to the opposite side when done with the first side. You can control the amount of color (and therefore the white or base color) by applying more or less of the color. If you want near full coverage make sure the color is penetrating the folds of the tie pattern.
    Allow the piece to dry enough that you can handle it then open it up and allow to dry for a full 24 hours. After that all you need do is iron at cotton setting to set the Dye-Na-Flow.
    Keep in mind that because Dye-Na-Flow is transparent (like a dye) any base color will affect the end result.
    If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask.

annette