Getting bright colours with Kelly Green acid dye on nylon
  • I've been using Jacquard acid dyes to dye nylon lycra and mesh and they have worked well with reds, pinks and blues but I'm having difficulty with Kelly Green and Chartreuse. I want that bright green that pops out, that those dyes can give but it turns out more like a yellowy moss green. I'm wondering if there is anything specific that affects these particular dyes that might be causing this in terms of times, acid, temperature. If I just quickly dip the fabric it comes out a bright green but not strong enough - however if I leave it in for the colour to deepen a bit for a few minutes it starts to yellow, more and more. Anyone any ideas why??
  • Hi Alan,

I do know that some of the greens are quite affected by temperature. I don't have access to our test strips right now, but if I'm able I will try to put my hands on those and report our findings.
    What I can remember off the top of my head is that higher temperatures result in duller/browner/more yellow results. Please know, though, that is off the top of my head and subject to my swiss cheese memory.
    I will try to get my hands on the test strips in the next day or so and get back to you.

annette
  • That would be fantastic, thank you.
  • Hi Annette

Just wondering if you managed to get those test strips? Many thanks, Al
  • Hi Alan,

So sorry, I completely dropped the ball on that!!
    I will look into it on Monday after the holiday, I promise!

annette
  • Hi Alan,

Got a chance to check out the test strips - unfortunately the only one i could find was for the olive green. What I was able to tell from that is that at LOWER temps the green shifts to a browner (much browner!) color. You might want to test at higher temps (near or at boil) to see what you achieve. The other thing to keep in mind is that our tests were on silk and nylon may take the colors differently.
    I know this isn't a lot of help, but hopefully will send you in a better direction. We would love to hear your results.

annette