Satin Wedding Dress
  • I have spoke with a store retailer about the possible ways to go about my project and I just have some clarifying questions:
    I am dyeing a satin (polyester satin, I believe) wedding dress to turn it into a halloween costume--Belle from Beauty and the Beast. I want to use iDye Golden Yellow and iDye Poly Golden Yellow. I figure that I need to use both of these to cover the blend. Is that correct? If I get a packet of each, will that be enough for the dress? Specifically, will it be enough dye to saturate the dress and give that beautiful golden yellow sheen?
    There is some random beading on the dress, if I use both the iDye and the Poly, the beading/threading shouldn't be an issue right?
    Also, because it is a ballgown, there is not a pot big enough to put it in for the stove top option. Is it okay to do it in the washer? Because heat is the main factor here, could I add some hotter water, or just turn up the water heater? Will there be any dye residue left in the washer?
    I was told to boil the dress beforehand to make sure that any residue on the dress would be gone and a clean pallet would be available. Can I just put it in the washer on hot? Do I add anything to the load or just leave it with the hot water?
    What suggestions/recommendations do you have? What is the proper way of going about this?
    Sorry about the long inquiry, I have been reading up on all of the various options and dyes and blah blah blah and I have just decided its probably best to ask the experts.
    Thanks
  • Just double checked, the dress is actually 100% polyester.
  • Hi there,

Well, first as the dress is 100$ polyester you can forgo the iDye for natural fibers.
    To address the bigger issue of heat during dyeing: because polyester is difficult to dye, dyeing your dress in the washer, even with added hot water or increased temps from the hot water heater will most likely result in less than optimal results. That's not to say you won't get some color, but you may not get the dept of shade you are after. If that turns out to be the case you could always redye which would add an additional layer of color. (I'd go with redyeing rather than adding a second packet to the first dye bath)
    For prewashing we recommend using something like Snythrapol which is a dyers detergent - it works very well at removing oils, etc. Barring that, using your normal detergent would be a good idea.
    As for how it will leave your washer: we do recommend running a clear wash cycle after dyeing with any dyes in your washing machine and if you have hard water you may discover a ring of dyed soap scum around your tub. A wipe down with detergent will get rid of that. If your machine is an older one there may be some staining of the plastic parts, especially if there is any minute cracking in the plastic but so long as you make sure there is no loose dye even that won't pose a hazard to future washes.
    Hope this helps, let me know if you have any further questions.
    annette
  • Annette,

Thank you for the helpful information. If I am to rig some sort of outdoors stove, could I use a steel trash can to dye it in? what about galvanized steel?
    Thanks
    V
  • Hi V,

A steel trash can would work well - I'd stay away from the galvanized as there might be some reaction with the dye. If you have access to a 55 gal barrel? - Maybe a local manufacturer or restaurant might have something like that and those are often steel or coated inside.
    It is a bit hard finding something that will hold a wedding dress and all its fluffery...

annette