Tye Dyeing Polyester and Lycria Fabric
  • When I got married 5yrs ago my husband and I wanted to have a tye dyed wedding. So I found the fabric for my dress and bought a used white tux jacket for my husband. Got a Jacquard tye dye kit, went home and did my thing. The next day when rinsing out the fabric 85% of the color came out. We are having our 5th anniversery in November, and I want to redo our wedding clothes for a concert we are going to that night. What I am looking for is right type of dye I need to use. I don't want be disappointed again on the out come of end results. Please guide me in right direction. :) http://www.jacquardproducts.com/forums/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=21#http://www.jacquardproducts.com/forums/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=21#
  • Hi. The important thing to remember is that Procion MX dyes are for 100% cellulose fibers. If the tux or dress that you dyed for your wedding had any polyester, lycra, or any synthetic in it, it won't dye. That is probably why you had so much wash out before. Unfortunately, at this time, we don't have any dyes that will dye these types of fibers.
  • chinacat said:
    When I got married 5yrs ago my husband and I wanted to have a tye dyed wedding. So I found the fabric for my dress and bought a used white tux jacket for my husband. Got a Jacquard tye dye kit, went home and did my thing. The next day when rinsing out the fabric 85% of the color came out. We are having our 5th anniversery in November, and I want to redo our wedding clothes for a concert we are going to that night. What I am looking for is right type of dye I need to use. I don't want be disappointed again on the out come of end results. Please guide me in right direction. :)
    Polyester cannot be dyed with the same dyes we use for natural fibers. The right type of dye for dyeing polyester is called disperse dye. The lengthy boiling required to apply disperse dye would destroy the spandex, if the care labels in clothing are to be believed at all, so it's never a good idea to try dyeing a polyester/Lycra blend.

Jacquard's Dye-Na-Flow fabric paint, like all Jacquard fabric paints, is supposed to work on synthetics. Dye-Na-Flow would be a much better idea for tie-dyeing your polyester/Lycra than any true dye. You can dilute Dye-Na-Flow with water and apply it to the fabric like dye.

Paula