funky groovy kit
  • I haven't tie dyed in years and recently got back into it and forgot how hard it is.
    I tried rit dye and that flopped
    So i bought the funky groovy kit and it worked pretty good, the colors were lighter than i thought but i could have let them soak more
    I was wondering if I could buy the soda ash separately. Also if i buy the procion dye is that already premixed? or do i have to mix something with it.
  • Congratulations on moving beyond all-purpose dye. Fiber reactive dye is so much more satisfactory, isn't it?

You can buy the same Procion MX dye that you used, separately from the kit. Jacquard sells one brand of this type of dye, labeled "Jacquard Procion MX Dye", which can be found in some of the better crafts stores, as well as a number of different mail-order sources online. You will find that the bulk prices of larger jars, and the vastly wider choice of colors, really open up the world of dyeing for you. The Jacquard tie-dye kit is a great start, but it's easy to work without a kit now that you've had that experience.

You will need to buy soda ash separately, either with your dye order or as sodium carbonate from the swimming pool section of the hardware store. You can buy urea with your dyes, as well, though its use is optional. You still have plastic squirt bottles from your kit, but you may want to order some more. Other than that, all you need is latex or nitrile disposable gloves, and rubber bands or artificial sinew to do the tying. Follow the same recipes that came with your kit. I have another web page with instructions on how to tie dye, as well as other pages detailing how to do many other sorts of hand dyeing with these dyes. The easiest way to dye, easier than tie-dyeing, is with low water immersion.

For more intense colors: use more dye; wring our your soda-soaked shirts more thoroughly; make sure the dye reaction is at least 70° for eight hours or overnight; don't forget the soda ash; and be sure to use 100% cotton shirts or fabric with no stain-resistant or permanent-press treatments.

Paula