How to correct mistake -dynaflow
  • OK, I was cleaning out my closet and decided it was time to try and fix this beautiful green linen shirt that has a white spot on it. I bleached the shirt till it was about yellow, washed it, and then used two bottles of dynaflow to soak it in (per advice from my local art store). I mixed two colors – both shades of green.

I understood I needed to heat set the shirt, so I put it on a drying rack in my dryer because it was too damp to iron at that point. When I returned to get it, the color had separated and was darker in some spots. I washed it and now it looks like a really bad tie-dye job. I tried to bleach it but the color has barely budged. (are you laughing at me yet? Ha ha!)

At this point, I am too far along to not salvage this shirt. With the darker spots, I worry that trying to dye it again will not work. Or should I go ahead and try to dye it again? Is there not a way to remove the dynaflow now that it is set, so that I can start over with a clean slate?

Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Linda
  • Hi Linda,

Sorry it didn't turn out well:( .
    A couple of things could have gone on. There may have been residual oils on the fabric preventing the paint from sticking to those fibers. Since you bleached and washed the shirt first it seems unlikely that this is the explanation. Synthrapol is a great detergent that removes oils from fabric when preparing for dyeing and/or painting
    Here is what may have happened. DyeNaFlow is paint--pigment in a binder. All the greens in that line, except for Emerald Green #820, are made from several pigments blended together. When this is the case there can be a tendency for a process called 'floculation' to occur. Basically it's pigments getting attracted to each other and migrating across the fibers, resulting in uneven color distribution.
    There is no way to remove the DyeNaFlow at this point. You could try painting it over again using the Emerald Green, a single pigment color. Although you probably won't get an even shade you made be able to acheive a satisfactory blend.
    Hindsight being what it is (and I only write this for the benefit of forum readers) my recommendation would have been to dye rather than paintthe shirt. I'm making the assumption that the shirt is 100% linen which would dye quite well using Procion MX dyes.

Have you thought about embroidery accents?:o

Noelle
  • Hi - sorry about your shirt. In hindsight, you probably should have mixed the paint to match the shirt, and just painted over the white spot, tho color matching can be very iffy.

Anyway, you might try overdying with Procion MX dyes in a darker color. I don't know how concentrated the paint is on the fabric, but if it's fairly light, the dye might still penetrate. You might be able to to a "camo" effect - in non-military colors, it could be pretty.

L