Screen printing inks Versatex vs. Jacquard
  • I am just wondering what the difference is between Versatex and Jacquard screen printing inks are other than drying times?

Do the Jacquard screen printing inks have a fixer that can be added like the Versatex inks to avoid heat setting?

Does the Jacquard inks have an opaque white that can be added to print over dark garments?

When doing large productions using water based inks, what is your recommendation on heat setting with the Jacquard inks?

Thank you for your help.

Derek
  • Hi Derek,

Versatex was developed primarily for use on fabric and it's the best choice for screening on fabric. Jacquard Professional Screen Printing Inks adhere very well to fabric but with more of a hand than Versatex. The Screen Printing Inks are excellent on paper and work great on plastic and vinyl. As you alluded to, the Screen Inks have a much longer open time than the Versatex. You could add the same fixer to the Screen Inks as you would for Versatex but it really won't improve the performance that much. The Super Opaque White Screen Printing Ink has excellent coverage over dark fabric. When heat setting simply use the highest temp for your fabric and press from the back (instructions from the Versatex page are here http://www.jacquardproducts.com/products/paints/versatexscreenink/instructions1.php)
    If you have commercial equipment follow the recommended settings (it's always a good idea to test before a big run)

Do write back if I haven't covered everything.

Noelle
  • Noelle,

Thank you for responding so promptly. I am new to water based inks as I have been using plastisol inks for all my screen printing. It sounds like Versatex inks are the avenue I will pursue. I do have one more question. I will be printing on light and dark shirts and was wondering which Opaque white I should use, regular or Super Opaque. What should be the deciding factor? Will the super opaque have a harder hand and potentially crack? If I mix regular opaque white will I still get good coverage? Thank you for your help once again.

Derek
  • Good morning Derek,

I haven't done a side by side test of the Versatex Opaque White as compared to the Super Opaque White. My understanding is that there is better coverage over dark when using the Super Opaque White and there is little (if any) difference in hand. I always recommend doing your own tests if you have any doubts (quality and aesthetics are subjective)

Happy to help!

Noelle
  • This is an addendum to the heat-setting portion of Derek's question. Different fabrics may require longer heat setting--knits for example need to be heat set for longer than cotton sheeting. So---do tests! Especially if you are planning on doing production of any sort.

Noelle