acid dye painting sheep fleece
  • I have a white sheep fleece, with about 1" thick loft/fur, that I want to hand paint with the acid dyes. I'm not concerned about the leather side, particularly, mainly the fur.

While I have used procion MX dyes for immersion as well as hand painting for well over 20 years on cotton, I have never used the acid dyes.

I'm a bit nervous getting started on this project, as I have some questions about the process and I don't want to ruin a $70 fleece!

My questions (to begin with ;) are:

I want to make very small quantities of the dye for painting - about 1/4 cup. I don't have the space for long term storage of larger quantities of the 18+ colors I plan to use. What would the water/vinegar/dye powder ratio be for this small quantity?

Steaming: How would I steam something the size of about 1/2 - 2/3 of a sheep fleece without it touching itself and the colors bleeding that way? I was thinking canning pot, but I don't think that would be big enough. Do I need to worry about colors bleeding on contact during steaming at all? I always used an iron the with procion mx dyes, but that wouldn't work here.

Thanks for your time. I'm really looking forward to this project and really don't want to mess it up.

lauradel
  • Hi Lauradel,

Exciting project you are taking on.

Some of your questions I can address right away. This link will take you to the info regarding silk painting and there you'll find the receipe for a stock solution. All you need to do is reduce the quanties purportionatly. Same with the thickener if that is the way you decide to go.
    Steaming does seem a challenge with the size of your project. Monday I'll have a chance to speak with the dye wizards here at Jacquard and perhaps they'll have some ideas. I do think that the size is going to be the biggest issue. Making sure that you are getting good steam with out allowing condensation to drip on the project is how you will have success.
    More on Monday
    Anet
  • Hi Anet,

I was afraid the size of the project would be a problem...

You mention a link, but I didn't see one in your reply. Also, you said the link would be for *silk* painting, will this same thing work for *wool* fleece? Once you post the link ;)

I have a very good iron - I wonder if just holding the iron hovering above the fleece and steaming it that way might work. I'm not adverse to picking up a hand held clothing steamer, if it's not way expensive and if the wizards think that's a possibility. (I used an iron for steaming the procion mx/cotton, but that was fabric...)

I appreciate your consulting the dye wizards. I could certainly use a wizard right now, ha!

thanks again,
    lauradel

anet said:
    Hi Lauradel,

Exciting project you are taking on.

Some of your questions I can address right away. This link will take you to the info regarding silk painting and there you'll find the receipe for a stock solution. All you need to do is reduce the quanties purportionatly. Same with the thickener if that is the way you decide to go.
    Steaming does seem a challenge with the size of your project. Monday I'll have a chance to speak with the dye wizards here at Jacquard and perhaps they'll have some ideas. I do think that the size is going to be the biggest issue. Making sure that you are getting good steam with out allowing condensation to drip on the project is how you will have success.
    More on Monday
    Anet