Reed & Wood -- Amount of dye for veneer
  • I know it's common practice with fabric dye to specify an amount of dye as a percent, say 1% or 2%, of the weight of material being dyed. The Jacquard Wood & Reed label suggests 1% for dark colors.

For my wood veneers, I have about 30 grams of wood and need 2+ quarts of water to cover -- 1% by weight would be 0.3 gm of dye. That would be about 1:6000 solution by weight dye to water (gm dye to gm=ml of water). This strength of bath gives very pale color. It seems to take more like 1:1000 - 1:300 to get full color value or more like 6% - 20% by weight of material. And the color seems to depend more on the strength of the bath than on quantity of wood in the bath.

How does this work? Is the percentage of material weight only relevant when you can get most of the material in contact with most of the dye bath?

RC
  • Hi,
    Unlike fabric wood is generally not flexible. So you may need a higher amount of water in the bath to cover the piece than you would need if you calculated the solution by weight. My advice would be to up the proportion of dye in the solution if you need more water to cover the piece. The higher the concentration of dye in the bath the darker the shade will be. So in your case you may need to calculate the ratios of dye to water rather than dye to material weight.
    Celia