Dyeing wedding shoes
  • My sister is getting married next year, and she has asked me to dye the fabric for the bridesmaids dresses. She then suggested that we buy dyeable shoes and have them dyed. After getting over the slight offense I took from her assuming I couldn't do this myself, I realized that I don't really know how to do it, without messing up the shoes. I would prefer to dye them with the same procion MX dyes that I'm using on the fabric for the dresses. I'm assuming that I can either mix the soda into the dye and paint it on the shoes, or paint them with dye then paint them with soda solution. I like the idea of a watery, mottled effect on the shoes, since the dresses will be done in a LWI technique. Will this work? Where can I acquire dyeable high heels on the cheap? I'm not paying $50 for a pair of shoes for one day. I don't have that kind of money for anything, let alone shoes.. TIA
  • Hi Daisy,

Your plan to dye the shoes with the Procion MX is sound so long as the material on the shoes is either silk or plant based material - I know a few folks have purchased dye-able shoes and discovered the material is polyester.
    I would, however, recommend applying the soda ash to the shoes first, then paint or dab on the dye. You'll allow the shoes to stay damp for at least 8 hours to ensure the dye has fixed but keep in mind that there will be excess dye that will bleed off if the shoes get wet. If it is at all possible I'd recommend gently rinsing the shoes after the fixation period to remove the biggest part of the excess dye.
    As for where to purchase dyeables - afraid I'm not going to be able to help you there...

hope this helps
    annette
  • My plan is to tape off the insole of the shoes so I can rinse the excess out. I am discovering that shoe materials are listed as simply "satin" with no actual fiber content. I have a year to figure out how to go about it. Hopefully I will simply find shoes the right color, but it's good to know this is a feasible option. Thank you.
  • Hi Daisy,

One other option to consider is Dye-Na-Flow. It is our very flowable, transparent, dye-like paint. Folks use it for everything from painting furniture to delicate silk scarves. Because of its flowability and transparency it acts very much like a dye, however, fixation is as simple as ironing (impracticable for shoes) or adding our fixative product AirFix.
    Check here to take a look at the color selections & additional info: http://jacquardproducts.com/dye-na-flow.html
  • Thank you. If the mx doesn't work I'll give that a try. I really would prefer using the same dyes as the dresses since these are all custom mixed colors that she's asking for from my dye records. How do the dye-na-flow dyes match up to the mx?
  • There isn't really any correspondence between the MX dyes and the Dye-Na-Flow...