dyeing velvet
  • Am trying to find a dye that will adhere to stretch velvet I use in rug hooking.....have tried procion, acids etc and does not take. Believe the velvets I use are probably high in poly so am going to try idye poly next but before investing wanted to know if anyone has tried this. I want mottled (we call it spot dye) and dip dye effect so wondered if I could 'cook' it in frypan with minimum water. Or why I could bake in oven. Immersing in boiling water for 1 hr is hard to keep the mottled color. Any comments appreciated.
  • Hi there,

Sounds like you are on the right track - hope someone that has some expedience with your low water ideas writes in...I've not any experience with what you are thinking of doing, but sounds like you are on the right track.

annette
  • I love the idea of using the skillet for the low immersion, definitely avoid the oven, you need to keep an eye on your results, though you could use a glass lid over the skillet on the stovetop to help keep the top of your fabric moist. You could even turn it after a short while, so you avoid the sharp crystal-shape effects if you want to keep the edges of color softer.