penetrating wood veneer
  • I've been experimenting using reed & wood dyes on maple veneer, .020" thick. I have a number of questions, but let's start with how to get dye to penetrate. Yellow seems to get all the way through in an hour or two at 160 degrees F. Other colors take as much as an hour and a half in a pressure cooker using the "high pressure" weight thing. The colors seem to hold up fairly well but may dull a little at the higher temperature and longer times -- is this what is supposed to happen? Is there any other reccomendation for getting good penetration?.
  • Hi,
    Here is a link to the instructions http://jacquard.tempdomainname.com/products/dyes/woodreed/
    My understanding is the hotter the better for these dyes so I am not sure why the yellow doesn't take so well. Try using bottled water to see if the water quality affects the end result. Did you know that you could also use these dyes as a spirit based stain? You can dissolve the dye down in Turpentine instead of water. This is used cold as a paint
    Celia
  • Thanks for the link, but it seems to be broken. Well, it goes to the page for the Reed & Wood dyes, and on that page there is a link that says, "Instructions" -- but it just takes you back to itself. I do have a printed page of instructions on a color chart of the dyes the dealer sent me along with my order of dyes.

Btw, on that web page, there is a picture showing bottles of dye powder (presumably) with what looks like two sizes larger than the .8 oz ones I've got... where can I buy larger sizes? I seem to be using the yellow pretty fast.

Thanks, RC
  • Hi,
    Wood & reed dye is available in 3 sizes 0.8oz, 8oz and 1lb. Call 800-442-0455 or email customer service at: [email]service@jacquardproducts.com[/email] for information on where to buy the dyes.
    That is strange that the link didn't work for you because it worked on my browser. The instructions are the same as the printed sheet that you have.
    Celia