Acid Dye - garment taking on more blue color? Scarlet vs. Cherry Red
  • Hi,

I'm trying to acid dye a garment.

I used Acid Dye Pink but the color turned out like light purple instead of pink. Is the material absorbing more blue than red dye? I'm not sure if the material has more polyester vs. spandex/nylon.

In the Jacquard Acid Dyes color chart the 'Pink' acid dye color does look a bit like purple?

I wonder what can be done (e.g. adding a different dye color) that'd change it to be more reddish instead of purple color.

Also, I wonder about the two acid dyes Scarlet vs. Cherry Red, which dye has less blue color in the dye?

Knowing the RGB values of the different dyes would help a lot.

Thanks.

• I wish I had the RGB values, but I do not. The Cherry red is more of a primary red, and you can get a pink from it that is not as purple.
  • Thanks. I'll try Cherry Red then.
  • For some reason I noticed when I acid dyed certain material the yellow dye just didn't get picked up that much compared to like red.

Not sure I understand the way different material absorbs different color.

Perhaps someone has better experience to explain.
  • Interesting. What material are you dyeing. You will definitely notice a difference between say nylon and silk. Acid dyes are ionic in character, so the more ionic sites on the fiber the more dye will absorb. This can have an effect with say the yellow too, depending on it's own electronic structure. So, yes different material can take the color strangely, and give inconsistent results across materials.
  • Hi,

This is 80% nylon 20% spandex.

I'm trying to make a peach color. Would Cherry Red + Yellow Sun be a good combination? Or a different acid dye color would work out better?

It seems it's not absorbing Yellow Sun as much as I like to. I use the stove method.

• Red is a powerful color. I would use the cherry red in really small amounts. 1/2 to 1/8 of a teaspoon or less as this is a powerful color. Then add around 2 tsp of Sun yellow. Test on some nylon before adding the final fabric to be dyed, and adjust as necessary. If the red is dominating, start over and add less. You won't need much of the red at all.

You want to mix pink and yellow to get peach. Pink can be tough, but small amounts of red is where you need to start. instead of increasing the yellow, decrease the red. Peach that is too dark doesn'y look peach at all it is almost a coral.
  • Thanks much for the advice. It was really helpful.

When I first tried it seemed yellow dominated over the Cherry Red. But the material absorbed the red dye a lot faster (within less than a minute) than yellow dye. What's left was the yellow color in the water and almost all red color disappeared from water and absorbed into the material.

I tried waiting, and it took over 40 min before the material began to suddenly absorb yellow more -- and the color quickly changed to more like coral.

It was really tricky when the two colors were absorbed in such a drastically different rate into the material.

Or perhaps I need to use 1/2 to 2 ratio of red vs. yellow like you suggested, that would help compensate for this.
  • This is interesting. each dye has a strike rate, a rate at which the fiber absorbs a color. This is usually not an issue as the rates get closer in speed when the dye heats up in the bath. This may be a case where the yellow is just much slower. Did you heat the dye bath?