Marbling Inks Troubleshooting
  • Hi all,
    My studio is new to Jacquard Marbling Inks, we love that we can use it on all sorts of materials and doesn't require a huge amount of time to prepare like our previous ink system. Also the synthetic gall is great. However we are experiencing issues surrounding inks washing out after being pulled from the sizing. We have tested alum-ing papers both by sponging it onto the surface of the paper as well as putting it into an alum bath. We have also tested drying the papers first before marbling and keeping it in a damp pack. We find that damp pack is easier only because laying a sheet of damp paper on the vat is easier than a curly and wrinkly paper that causes issues like air bubbles. However all these tests have still resulted in the running of inks during the rinsing process. The prints come out very light, some colours almost washing away entirely. We've also tried adding some water to the inks and that still hasn't helped. Some inks are totally fine and performing well such as the yellow and white but others are just washing right out - orange, blue, turquoise, black, green, etc. The only way we have been able to keep it there is if we let the paper dry with the sizing still on it, then rinsing the paper afterwards. Hopefully this is not the only way because that is pretty time consuming and difficult to manage in a class setting, especially for beginners. Any idea and/or suggestions as to why this is happening. Any solutions we can test out would be fantastic!
    Thanks for all you help! =)
  • Hello. I think you are using the wrong paper. Some papers perform better than others, but the fact that the paints are washing away so easily points to paper with a lot of sizing in it. You need something that is more raw and absorbent. Basically, marker and watercolor papers are not good. They have a lot of sizing in them that is good for other inks because they don't bleed or sink into the paper. For marbling you want something absorbent.

I suggest a pastel, drawing, charcoal or printmaking paper. Rice paper like Masa and Mulberry work very well too. The cheapest paper I have found is the Canson Drawing paper. It is absorbent and does not wrinkle much. I personally prefer to rinse my paper after i dry. It is harder, but I can keep 100% of the color. It should not be making this large of a difference though.