• I am marbling silk scarves. They are 22" X 72". I have used textile paints and dye n flow. They are coming out light color. Is there a way to make sure the colors will be dark and vibrant.
  • Hi Express,

When you say light I am going to presume that you mean transparent or semi-tranparent, based on the paints you are using.
    If what you are looking for is a more opaque coverage, which will give you deeper colors I would recommend Neopaque paints which have a higher pigment load in a more viscous medium than the other two paints. This will allow for 'darker' colors. More info here: http://jacquardproducts.com/neopaque.html
    You may get more of a hand with the Neopaque line, but because of the method of application inherent to marbling the actual difference in feel will be slight.

hope this helps
    annette
  • Thanks for the fast reply. What I meant by light colors is the colors are dull. I used the dye n flow azure blue. I marbled a scarf and it was more of a dull blue. The colors are more pastel. I was marbling a 5 mm habotai scarf.
  • I just looked at the paints and we use the dye n flow and the Jacquard textile colors. So you think if we use the neopaque they will be darker. The black looks like a dark gray. Thanks so much for your help with this. I love the look of the marbled scarves. If we paint on the silk they look great. It is just the marbling.
  • Because the Dye-Na-Flow is transparent, and because when marbling you are picking up a very light coating of the paints the resulting 'pastel' look makes perfect sense on a white scarf. The Textile will do somewhat the same thing, though your colors should be a bit deeper.
    The Neopaque will give you deeper colors because of the greater pigment load.

annette
  • Thanks so much for your advice. Are the neopaque harder to float on the carrageenan? If so what would you reccomend?
  • The Neopaque paints are a little more difficult to float due to their heavier weight. Ox gall is a surfactant that is used most often during the marbling process. Below are some links that discuss the use of ox gall.
    http://www.marblingpaper.com/Marbling Instructions.html
    marblingexplained.blogspot.com/2012/03/ox-gall.html
    http://marbleart.us/GallInfo.htm

annette
  • Is it ok to mix Textile with Neopaque or Lumiere? I know the last two mix together but have a Textile color I need to add to. Thank you!
  • Hi Linda,

It is fine to mix the Textile paints with either of the other two. In fact you can mix it with the Dye-Na-Flow also.

annette
  • We marbled with the neopaque paint but when we washed them most of the paint washed off. How do you heat set them? We ironed them is there something else we should do? Adding a little Oxgall worked perfect for helping the paints float.
  • Hi there,

Ironing is the recommended method. Time and amount of heat are the two most important factors. The heat should be set to the recommended temperature for the fabric or you can increase the temperature, but use a cloth between the fabric you are setting and the iron. Each area of the painted fabric should be ironed for about 1 - 3 minutes, keeping close watch on the fabric so not to scorch it.
    I always use a cloth between any fabric I am setting and the iron - this allows for the higher temp and protects the painted cloth. I usually use the cotton setting (unless I've been working with linen or canvas, then I bump the temp up) and I've never had a problem. If I am working with a synthetic like nylon or lycra I do test on a bit of extra fabric to ensure that the temp will not adversely affect the fabric and do occasionally find it necessary to reduce the heat. I've also found that allowing the fabric to dry for 24 hours before heat setting seems to help.
    Another option is to add Air Fix to the paints before the application/marbling. Air Fix allows the paints to cure with out heat. Allow to paints to cure for at least 72 hours before washing.

hope this helps,
    annette