Faux burnout fabric - painting/ stenciling on sheer fabric
  • I'm working on a costume that calls for a burnout fabric but I couldn't find one I liked. Instead, I'd like to try painting on a sheer fabric to get a similar effect. It became apparent very quickly, however, that I would need something beyond my standard Jo-Ann fabric paints in order to

1. Keep the paint from bleeding too much (no watercolor burnout!)
    2. Be opaque instead of just dyeing the sheer
    3. Keep the hand of the original fabric as much as possible. This needs to flow!

The fabric I purchased is a sheer blush rayon

I've been reading a lot about dyeing/painting techniques and though I've learned a lot I still haven't come up with a definitive answer.

Right now my two biggest contenders are trying dye-na-flow with an anti spread treatment over the entire fabric or thickening procion MX dyes to a paint-like consistency.

Ideas?

• Hi Sprinkles,

Thanks for writing in.
    Sounds like you've really done your homework. Your two final contenders are your best bets.
    I'd recommend the Dye-Na-Flow with an antifusant like our No-Flow. The Dye-Na-Flow offers brilliant, saturated colors with little to no hand and all you need to set it is a dry iron. Because it is not opaque, but more dye-like you will want to keep in mind that the color of the fabric is going to affect the final color.
    I do recommend spending a little time and fabric getting an idea of how the paint flows through the fabric.

hope this helps
    annette
  • Glad to know I'm on the right track. Of the two, which one would give me a more opaque look? I do not want the paint to be sheer.

This is the look I'm going for:
    http://2.imimg.com/data2/VU/LW/MY-/12-250x250.jpg

dye-na-flow or
    a procion MX mixed with a alignate/urea
  • humm, so you are using the paint/dye to create the leaves, yes? Well, the Dye-Na-Flow will not give you the opaque look of the white leaves shown in the image. An alternative would be to use the Textile Traditional paints. They are more opaque and will give you more the look you are going after. They have the added benefit of manageability. The viscosity is greater than the Dye-Na-Flow so you may not need to use an antifusant.
    Sorry to throw you this curve!
    annette
  • I will give those a try - I was worried about altering the hand of the delicate sheer but hopefully with light application ...?
  • yes, it is pretty easy to control the amount of paint you use, simply by controlling the amount of paint on the brush.
    Again, if you have a bit of spare fabric to practice on I think you'll be able to find just the right touch to achieve the opacity & retain the hand.

best of luck!
    annette