I need to reblack some faded black jeans..
  • I work for MAC Cosmetics in NYC and have to wear all black to work. I have a few pairs of pants that have faded in areas and are thus no longer acceptable work attire. I would like to reblack them so I can wear them again. I've tried dyeing them with RIT Dye a number of times, but have only lost time and money in the process as they still look exactly the same.

One pair of jeans is 98% cotton and 2% elastane. The label on a second pair of jeans is unreadable after dyeing (as apparently that's the only place the dye actually worked), but the jeans feel similar to the first pair of jeans. I also have a pair of stretch jeans with studs on the pockets that is 73% cotton, 25% polyester, and 2% elastane. Finally, I have a 100% cotton pair of cargo pants.

I have some some Textile Color that I bought at Mood Fabrics in the hopes of painting them black. I then went to an art supply store and discovered the rest of your product line. What are my best options for reblacking my pants using your products? I would be willing to try a few different methods if they will produce different-looking results. For example, i was thinking of using Pearl EX powder on one pair of jeans to give them a metallic finish. It would be nice to have one pair that still looks like regular black jeans, but I'm willing take some calculated fashion risks with the rest. I've already used black acrylic paint with soft gel gloss to give one pair of jeans (not included in the list above) a faux-leather or "coated denim" finish.

Please keep in mind that I am very much a novice with these products and methods, so easier is better. I am an artist by trade, however, so I'm comfortable with mixing mediums and such.

Also, concerning heat setting...Do I paint both sides of the jeans, turn them inside out, and then heat set with an iron? I'm kind of afraid they'll stick together or something. Should I do one side at a time and turn them inside out? Iron over a thin piece of fabric? So confused...

I know this is a lot to ask all at once, but I'm starved for information and have no other resource to turn to. Please help!

Thank you.
  • Hello BC1004.
    we have a number of products will give you the results you are looking for. I will address them in order of your questions.
    1. The pants that are 100% cotton and the one that is 98% cotton, can be dyed black using a couple packets of iDye Black. For jeans, I really suggest using the stove top method rather than the washing machine method.
    2. the suggestion above can also be used for the pants that are 73% cotton. However, you may also want to do a second dyeing with iDye Poly to dye the polyester portion of the textile.
    3. Heat setting is only needed when dealing with paints. If you choose to go the paint route, I would suggest laying a piece of fabric over the jeans and heat setting with that.
    I hope this helps. should you have any more questions, feel free to call customer service. if they are unable to help, you will be forwarded to me!
    good luck!
    Monte w.