Screen printing on faux leather
  • Hello I used super opaque white Jacquard screen ink to screen print a bunch of pvc faux leather jackets. I let them air dry for over a week (the ink went on pretty thick in some places) and then put them in the dryer on high for 30 minutes. The ink can be scratched off quite easily still and on one of the jackets a bunch of the letters actually peeled off completely. I am wondering if there is some sort of sealing product I can apply over the print to keep this from happening. I have been searching the web and many people working with leather suggest spraying an acrylic such as resolene. Though this is not actually real leather (though it does look and feel pretty close) so I don't know if that would work. Any suggestions anyone could give me would be very much appreciated.. thanks!
  • Unfortunately, PVC is one of the most difficult materials to print on. It is much more difficult than leather. The first suggestion I would make would be to try heat setting your prints with a dry iron or heat press instead of a dryer: the direct heat will set the ink better than a dryer (also, you'll want to allow at least 24 hours for dyring before heat setting). When printing on PVC in industrial settings, they flame treat the plastic right before printing. This means exactly what it sounds like: they breifly expose the plastic to open flames, and for some reason, this allows for more permanent prints... You might try this method on your PVC fabric, but BE VERY CAREFUL! Working with open flames is dangerous and you should excersic extreme caution. Although our ink is formulated for all different kinds of surfaces, there are some that will always be challenging. PVC is among the most difficult...

Here is another idea for you, that is slightly more invloved, but that should work quite well: you can use disperse dyes (Jacquard's iDye Poly: http://www.jacquardproducts.com/idye.html) to do a sumblimation print onto your PVC fabric. Here is a video that explains what this means: http://youtu.be/TkuGVhKRLc8. Basically, you mix the dye into a thickener, print it onto paper, let it dry, and then heat transfer the print onto the fabric.... I think this will probably be your best bet (although I'm not sure what the melting point of PVC is and whether you'll have issues heating it... I think probably not). Good luck, and let us know if you have any other questions!
  • I did try using an iron briefly and the pvc seemed to melt pretty quickly. I will try it again on a lower setting and look into the disperse dye process. Thank you.