• I am new to dying fabric! I am starting to dye scarves as gifts and slowly learning as I go. I do have one starter question about a type of fabric, rayon. I have read that it is very weak when wet. Machine washing is an option in a mesh bag or hand washing. Which is the best use? If I use hand wahsing, how do I go about it with synthrapol? Any other information with this fabric would be of help as well.

Thanks,
    Newbie to dying
  • Either method is sound. Personally, I tend to prefer hand washing when working with delicate fabrics. Using Synthrapol when hand rinsing is easy. Wet the fabric first. If you are rinsing out excess dye, rinse first in cold running water until the water starts to run clear (or clearER). After that, put the fabric in a pot or bucket with enough cool water for it to move freely. Put the Synthrapol in the bath and move the fabric in and out of it. You only need to use a tiny bit of the detergent: about 1tbs per 3lbs of fabric. The warmer the water, the more color will come out. You can either keep the water cold the entire time, or for more thorough removal of excess dye, bring the temperature of the bath slowly up and then slowly back down again. Be sure to keep changing the water in the bath to avoid back staining. Keep the fabric moving and keep changing the bath water until it is clear. Continuing rinsing and dunking until the bubbles are gone. Wring and hang to dry.
    This is how I rinse and it works well for me. Every dyer will have a varying method. Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. And good luck!
    Asher
  • Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! This will help a great deal! After the weekend is over I may have another question, but this puts me right on track! The rayon fabric feels wonderful, but it does run on the expensive side. A little more than a beginner, like myself, would want to ruin with incorrect care.
  • I have some bleach spots on a medium grey rayon dress. I bought brown I Dye for rayon-natural fabric as it was the darkest color aside from black that I could find. I read that the best results are from hot water but since rayon is very fragile is it better to use cool water? Also how should I prepare the garment to get rid of the bleach on the spots? Do you think that the brown will cover the bleach spots or should I remove the grey and if so what should I use? Any advice would be appreciate.
  • With iDye, you will always get better results with hot water. For rayon, I would recommend dyeing in a large pot on the stove top, being very gentle while stirring, and hand washing when done. If you are nervous about heating it, you can always use a cold water dye (http://jacquardproducts.com/procion-mx.html). If you dye your fabric a deep enough shade, I suspect you will be able to hide your bleach spots. However, dyes are always transparent. Depending on the contrast of the base color and the bleach spot, and also how dark you over dye it, you may or may not be able to see the spots beneath your brown. If you do not want to take the risk, you can use a color remover to create an even color on the whole dress before dyeing. However, I would not recommend this in your case, as color removers usually require very high heat, which something it sounds like you might want to avoid...