Dye over another colour
  • I have polyester/velour chair cushions in a golden/yellow colour. What colour dye can I use to make them a rich dark burgundy or similar?
  • Golden yellow is the opposite color (on the color wheel) from purple. If you try to dye something that is golden yellow to make it burgundy, you will get brown. Try the violet iDye Poly, you'll probably get a brownish-burgundyish color.

The only dye that will work on your polyester is disperse dye, such as iDye Poly (not the regular iDye). It can be applied only by boiling the dye with the fabric. You must remove the covers from your chair cushions in order to dye them. If the covers are not designed to be removable, carefully remove the stitching from one seam in order to remove the stuffing, then sew the covers back on after you have completed your dyeing.

-Paula

--
    Paula E. Burch, Ph.D.
    hand dyeing FAQ, dyeing instructions, book reviews:
    http://www.pburch.net/dyeing.shtml
    please join the dye forum: http://www.pburch.net/forum
  • Hi,

I have a canvas shoulder bag, originally khaki, I wanted it chestnut brown but dyed it at too low temperature which resulted in a green brown look which I was very unsatisfied with. Instead of removing the color I dyed it again, with idye scarlet, now at a higher temperature (60°C/140°F), result was pretty o.k. but I still find it too red, I would categorise it as washed burgundy or rust red. So, question is how to turn it more brown or even better - orange brown/terracotta, without making it too dark? Do anyone have a suggestion? I also wonder about using a fixative, can one use a fixative after having dyed it, or does it have to be used during the actual dyeing?

-Jackdaw
  • I have 2 hanks of aran 12ply which has a slight green hue which does not blend with the light sky blue of the rest of the yarn I have for my project. It is suggested I discharge colour before applying the more suitable colour. I have earh palette cold dye to use for this. what is your advice please? Thanks, JMC
  • Any one have a suggestion about increasing the blue colour in my yarn? how would a deeper blue work? Please????
  • Usually you can increase you depth of shade by just using more dye. This just means you use more dye powder in your dye bath. Typically, you don't want to dye at a concentration higher than 10% (meaning the weight of your dye powder should not exceed 10% of the weight of your fabric.) But if you are dying at lower concentrations, you should be able to increase the depth of your blue simply by using more dye powder (or less water).
    When it comes to over-dyeing, just remember that dyes are transparent, so your resulting color will look like a blend of your under color and over-dyed color... If you need to remove a color before dyeing, use a color remover (http://www.jacquardproducts.com/color-removers.html), not bleach.
    I hope this helps!
  • PS: are you dyeing wool yarn? and using PMX dyes? If so, this might be why you are not achieving deep shades. PMX dyes are used for cotton and other celluloid fibers. For wool, you'll want to use Acid Dyes (http://www.jacquardproducts.com/acid-dye.html).
  • Hi I am dyeing a cotton sweater that is bright yellow and I want it navy blue what dye color should I get and what type of dye is the best?
  • Hi Andrea,

You'll want to use either Procion MX or iDye for Natural Fibers.
    http://jacquardproducts.com/idye.html
    http://jacquardproducts.com/procion-mx.html
    There is a Navy in both dye lines - that would be the color to use.

annette
  • Would anyone know how to achieve electric purple on white fabric please'? Thanks
  • It's a viscose / nylon blend :)
  • Hi Stay,

With this blend of fabric you can use either an Acid dye & Procion MX combo or iDye for natural fibers and iDye Poly.
    Achieving the color you are after will probably require a bit of testing. I'd recommend starting with the violets in the different color lines.

hope this helps
    annette
  • Hi there, I have a wool/viscose blend coat that is deep red (blood red) and I want to dye it black..how should I dye it / what type of dye do you recommend and would I be able to get the coat close to black?
  • Hi there,

You can dye this coat. If you are very committed to dyeing this well I'd recommend using both Procion MX dye (for the viscose) and Acid Dye (for the wool). I'd suggest dyeing with the Procion MX first using the immersion method and then the Acid Dye using the stove top method.
    More information here: http://jacquardproducts.com/procion-mx.html
    http://jacquardproducts.com/acid-dye.html
    Take a look at the instructions, if you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask.

annette
  • Hello,
    I have a dress that is 98% nylon and 2% spandex with a polyester lining. I was wondering if it is possible to dye this without ruining it and what color I should use to achieve the color that I want. The dress is a royal blue/almost purple and I would like it to be a deep red/burgundy color.
    Thanks!,
    Nora
  • Hi Nora,

Sorry for the delayed response!
    Because you are trying to get to a red/burgundy from a royal blue/almost purple I would recommend removing the color from the dress first. However, depending on the type of dye used originally for the royal blue this may or may not be successful. If the dress has been dyed with an Acid dye you should be able to remove some degree of the dye. If the original color is a disperse dye you are unlikely to be able to remove any of the color.
    Once you've removed color using I would suggest using Acid Dyes - perhaps the #610 Burgundy.
    http://www.jacquardproducts.com/acid-dye.html

hope this helps
  • Hello! I have a dress that is stretch cotton and it is army green. I'm hoping to dye it to be a different color, but I don't know what my options might be. Can you give me some ideas of what dyes I could use, and what colors they would result in? Thanks!
  • Hello. I have a shirt that is 98% polyester and 2% spandex. The shirt is hot pink. I never wear pink, but I really like this shirt, so I would like to change it's color. I would wear blue, purple, green, or even yellow/red/orange. Since I'm starting with hot pink instead of white, I'm worried about mixing the wrong colors and ending up with an ugly shade of brown. Which color would be best and most effective to change it to? And how?
  • Are you planning to remove color before dyeing?

annette
  • If there's an effective way to do it, sure. I just want to know what will work best.
  • Actually there isn't a good way to remove color from polyester - I'm thinking your best bet will be to over dye with a red or orange color - staying in the same color family will give you the best results.

annette
  • I want to tie dye a shirt orange and purple. I've tried but the Purple ends up a drab shade of purplish-brown. Is there a way to help balance this to create a bolder brighter purple? I used a white shirt, dyed orange first, washed dried then dyed purple. Could I use an orange shirt to begin with?
  • Hi Mama,

Your Purple is going to end up the purplish-brown every time if you are dyeing over orange, whether you dye it or purchase it dyed. The only way to create a bright bold purple with your orange is to apply the colors along side each other on a white shirt. Check out this method of tying and dyeing to get an idea of what I mean: http://www.jacquardproducts.com/horizontal-bands.html
    Rather than using several colors you could just use purple and orange.
    Let me know if you have any other questions.

annette
  • I have some cloth that I dyed with Rit dye. I know it's not the best quality, but I'm only planning on using the cloth a few times, and this is what I had on hand. I dyed with a ratio of 1 tsp dye to 1 cup of water, and the color came out too light. My question is - if I re-dye with the same ratio of dye to water, will I get a deeper color (since the cloth is now already blue instead of white)? Or do I need to increase the ratio in order to get a deeper color?
  • Hi Kam,

Over-dyeing an existing color is going to give you a color that looks darker than the first dyeing even when using the same ratio.
  • I need help! I have never dyed anything before, but need a bright purple button up shirt. So I went ahead and bought a white button up and need to dye it a bright purple. It is a cotton shirt. What is a good dye to use to achieve that bright purple? (PS it is for a Welcome to Nightvale Cecil cosplay, if that helps show you what kind of purple I want to achieve)
    thanks so much!
    -Ash
  • Hi Ash,

For cotton you'll want to use either Procion MX or iDye for natural fibers. Getting to a very specific color is a bit tricky. You can probably get very close using the Marine Violet in the Procion line or the Violet or Purple in the iDye line.

annette
  • I am a beginner at dyeing. I just tried to dye a cotton corduroy vest and pants, using Procion MX. They were a dusty rose color and I wanted them to be a brighter color, so I used carmine red. I thought I followed directions precisely, but my clothes looked exactly the same color after the dyeing. The clothes weighed about 20 oz, I used 3 gal of water plus another cup, salt, soda ash and about 1.75 t of dye.
  • Hello!

I am attempting to slightly darken a color a 100% cotton plaid. It's a plaid of large beige stripes (2"), and thin red and green stripes (1/2" each). I'd like the beige to be a greenish or grey color without overly tinting the green stripes and browning the red. Would you recommend I try iDye or do you think the colors would muddy down too much? I'm going for more of a historical home dye look from a purchased tartan.
  • Hello Nerosbane,

Regardless of the type of dye you use overdying with a color to move the beige to green or grey is going to drab out the green or red. You might want to consider painting dye onto the beige stripes. Check out these directions for painting with Procion MX on page six. http://jacquardproducts.com/assets/jacquard-site/product-pages/dyes/procion-mx/Procion MX_Instructions.pdf

annette
  • Hi Sharoper,

From your description I suspect that what you need is more dye. It has been my experience that the amounts of dye recommend at our directions usually fall short of what I expect "medium" or "dark" colors to be. Try doubling the amount of dye you used in your first attempt.

annette
  • Hi,

I am attempting to dye an orange polyester to black. For my first try, I used one packet of idye poly, followed the instructions, and let the dye boils with constant agitation for 30 minutes. As the color was significantly darker, I thought that was enough time so started the washing/drying process. After the fabric had dried, it was a dark green. So doing some research online, I found I needed to use double to quadruple the amount of dye to get a truly black tone to the fabric. I used four packets of idye poly, agitated for an hour, and the color didn't change. My next guess would be to try a blue based dye to even out the color or even a red. What would you suggest would work best to help me get closest to black?
  • Hello,
    I'm trying to dye a duvet cover to match the decor in my room because I haven't been able to find one that is just plain pink. I managed to get a really nice rosy pink by mixing a little bit of magenta with red and watering it down, but it turns out I need the color to be more of a coral. Is it possible to use a very watered down yellow or orange to achieve this or will they not react well with the majenta in the pink? Or do you have any other suggestions on how to achieve this?
  • Hi Emfish,

You are going in the right direction with the addition of yellow or orange to push your pink to coral (I'd probably go with the orange). You will want to use just a very little bit, though to avoid pushing it to a more apricot color. You might find it helps to play around with an interactive color wheel on the internet to see what happens with the addition of different colors to your existing color.
    hope this helps
    annette
  • I have absolutely nooo experience with dyeing anything so i am needing some serious professional tips and advice for this. I have an old, (very very old) dining room set that has cloth covered chairs. 2 are black, 2 are yellow. I am needing to dye the yellow covers red. Idk if this has a high chance of turning orange, or if not because of how old they are and how many times they have previously been washed or if any of that matters. Any advice or how to's would be great. I have no idea what kind of dye to use either,so if anyone with experience has any brand preferences that would be much appreciated too(:
  • OK! Hasn't anybody else had this beginner problem? I've tried to poly idye ivory polyester(100%) twice now. Two separate garments. I'm really not upset at all that the colors did not come out what the dye packet says.

HOWEVER, I'm very upset at the fact that the boiling dye glob plates out on the inside of the stainless steel pot and it then ruins the garment by sticking dye splotches on any and all pieces of fabric that touch the plated out globs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Has this happen to anybody but me????

KC
  • @bbeatty7 I am sorry I missed your message as we have been dealing with the spam on the board. The yellow covers will be orange unless you remove the color first. Boiling the covers in color remover will likely do the job. Then you can dye the covers red. Every time you overdye a new color the old color will show, so the original color must be compatible with the desired final color or it must be removed.

http://jacquardproducts.com/color-removers.html
  • @kcibu2u I have had this problem before. You can use a brush with a handle on it to brush those globs with the hot water from the pot and get it to dissolve back in the water.
  • How to dye hot pink chiffon dress to maroon color.??
  • This is not too hard. Is it 100% silk or polyester?

If silk you should use 3/4 crimson acid dye #619 and 1/4 violet #614 with an appropriate total amount for the dress, probably around 2 ounces total.

I would do essentially the same with the poly #457 Crimson but substitue lilav #458 for the violet in this case. Violet is too strong in the poly and would dominate. You can cut the poly packet with scissors.