stove top vs. wash machine
  • ona poly/cotton blend 65 35 is stove top better than washing machine for a dark color
  • Depends on many things. Years ago, the one time I tried the stove top method, I didn't have a large enough pot, so that didn't work out so well. Fast forward a couple of years, I tried it again. This time I had a large enough pot but my electric stove didn't have enough oomph to get the water hot enough. (Both times I was dying fabric for sewing so there was quite a bit.) My washing machine is a High Efficiency front loader, which uses less water so I really don't think that would work too well either.
  • Dear Shasbot,
    The answer to your question is YES, assuming you are using a disperse dye for your polyester (which is the only dye that will work...). Jacquard sells disperse dyes as iDye Poly. These dyes like to get as hot as they can. We recommend dyeing polyester with iDye Poly on the stove top at a rolling boil for best results.
    The iDye Natural is a dye you can use simultaneously, in the same pot as the iDye Poly, to dye the natural fibers in your blend. This dye also likes to be hot (though it is not necessary to bring it to a boil). iDye natural is a direct dye. Direct dyes strike fibers faster than any other dye, which is why they are commonly used in the washing machine (on a hot cycle). The hotter they are, the deeper the color will be. So if you are looking for intensity, we always recommend the high heat of a stove top.
    I think your best bet is going to be a mix of iDye Poly and iDye Natural, used on the stove top at a high temp.
    I hope that's helpful!
    Asher