**First Timer Stovetop Method!**
  • Hi everyone,

I'm dyeing a friend's jacket (or at least half of it) for his Two-Face costume for a sci-fi convention. It's 100% Polyester so we bought iDye Poly. However, I've never done it via-stove top method before. I've only used the washing machine method. Do you HAVE to use the stove top? Or can you use the washing machine? Also, does anyone have any tips or tricks to using the stove top?
    And last but not least, we're sewing it back together after the half gets dyed. Is it going to bleed if he washes it? Is there a way to keep it from bleeding?

Thanks so much!
  • What a good friend you are!
    Stove top dyeing with the iDye Poly will give you the best results. If you are trying to achieve deep color it is the only way to go. Dyeing with the stove top method is really pretty easy. All you need is a pot large enough to allow the fabric to move freely, water and the dye and intensifier. We do recommend using a pot dedicated to craft use only.
    Full instructions are here.
    To your question about bleeding - after the initial rinsing there is no likelihood of bleeding. We do recommend washing in cool water.
    Happy Dyeing!