New to dying!
  • I'm dying two different things for my nursery. I am dying two curtain panels (light pink) and a heavy rocker slip cover (dark gray)

I am using a front loading washer to dye both in

1. Curtains - if I want it to come out light pink, do you know how much dye I would use???

2. Rocker - it is a jean type fabric, not sure of the actual fabric content, would idye work for this? If so, how many packets should I use?

Thanks!!!!!
  • Without the fabric content it is difficult to advise which type of dye to use.
    As for amount of dye - depending on the type of dye you use, there are pinks in different lines. Procion MX which you would use with cotton, linen or other natural plant fibers has a Hot Pink, or you could use a very dilute of any of the reds. iDye for natural fibers also has a pink, and again, you could use a dilute mixture of one of the reds.
    If your fabrics are polyester you'll want to use the iDye Poly and dilute the dye. One thing to keep in mind is that the tone of color will depend on the tone of the original color. If you are starting with an orangy-red you would end up with something like a salmon rather than a 'pink'
    The amounts you use are very dependent on just how deep you want your color to be - I would recommend starting with a very small portion (for instance 1/16 to 1/8th the suggested dye for full color). If you want deeper tone of color you can over dye.
    hope all this helps!
    anet