Wrapping your dye attire. Method used?
  • Kind of curious, since talking to other 'dye-heads', everyone seems to wrap their just dyed garment differently.

Some wrap in 'plastic Wrap', while some place in zip bags, others use plastic grocery bags. I have heard some just let them sit out in a rack. In fact, this I got from a major dye production house, who said wrapping or bagging the thousands of shirts they dye each month is too costly/timely.
    They come out good. So perhaps it is not so much the wrap technique that is the final ingredient, but the warm air. Some youtube tutorials even seem to do this.

I use plastic shoe size boxes with lids, let them sit a day or two..works for me.

You...??
  • Urea is a handy substitute for wrapping in plastic. Just include one tablespoon of urea per cup of water when mixing your dyes. Since urea is a humectant, it keeps your fabric moist long enough for the dye-fiber reaction to occur.

Dye and fiber cannot react together if they dry out completely. At least a little water is required for the reaction.

In a very humid climate, your stuff may stay damp long enough, even without plastic or urea, for all of the dye to react, resulting in the maximum color yield. If the humidity is not that high, you must use either urea (in the dye mix) or plastic (wrapped around the wet dyed stuff). Otherwise the reaction will stop too soon and you will end up with colors that are less bright.

-Paula