Cleaning Washing Machine?
  • Hi everyone,

Sorry for the very obvious question - I did a search for this before I posted this but no luck.

I plan to dye my sofa covers with iDye Fire Red in my front load wasing machine and I want to make sure that I can get it back to tip-top clean condition afterwards (don't fancy pink clothes for the next few months!)

Can any of you please advise?

Thanks!
  • Hi there!

In our instructions we recommend 'a thorough cleaning of your washer after you have used it to dye fabric. Most front loading washers collect residual water in the front door gasket and will also hold water in the exterior tub. Wipe down the door gasket carefully and run a short cycle with your normal detergent after completing dye process. (You may want to refer to your Washing Machine Users Manual for cleaning instructions."
    My personal experience with my own front loader supports this recommendation - and I pay particular attention to the gasket around the door and the dispensing unit. Although I now pre-dissolve and pour the dye solution into the tub before I add the fabric and run the dye cycle I still pour a cup or two of water through the soap dispenser to ensure there are no bits of dye solution lurking behind:)
    anet
  • Hi again -
    One thing I didn't mention in my previous post - because red direct dyes have a 'fugitive' nature we would recommend using the iDye Fixative during the dye process. You'll want to use 2 tablespoons of the fixative per pound of fabric in the final rinse. This will ensure that the dyes are well fixed to the fabric.
    anet