iDye Poly powder-to-liquid??
  • So - I'm new here and hope someone can help me with an unusual question. I really like working with liquid dyes because I find them much easier to mix together to get the shades I want. However, I'm working on dyeing some polyester gimp braid trim, and the only dye that will dye the braid evenly is iDye Poly (because the braid is mainly polyester w/ some rayon). iDye Poly only comes in powder form, and there are only a few colors, so I was wondering whether it's possible to "create" liquid dyes from the powder dyes -- i.e. dissolve a small amount of powder iDye with a small amount of water (say, 1/8 the amount one would use to dye 2 pounds of fabric) and store it in a small bottle with a screw-on lid, then simply shake the bottles well and use them like liquid dyes.

Has anyone tried anything like this? Any advice at all would be MUCH appreciated!

~Kate
  • The packets of iDye Poly as well as the iDye for Natural Fibers can be cut open and only a partial amount of the dye used. You can mix them up with water and blend them, but the instructions for use remain the same-stove method dyebath.

You'll only want to mix up enough dye solution which can be used within a few days. Mold growth can be an issue as well as the dye could fall out of solution and become a solid "clump" at the bottom of the container.

Jenny
  • Much higher quality than RIT, being a specialized dye and not general purpose like RIT it does not contain salt which is needed for natural fibers. The dye comes in a sealed packet that dissolves in water which makes things much easier to work with and no dye powder flying around to get on your fingers or make a mess with. A little extra stirring and hunting to make sure it's completely dissolved, but iDye seems thicker and completely dissolves much quicker and more thoroughly than RIT powder. It says to let it simmer for 30 minutes, but about 10 minutes sitting just below a simmer produced a good dye bath in 32oz of water.

As for the dyeing, there were 2 dips, the first for ~5 minutes and a second for 2, total time in the dye about 7 minutes. It took very quickly and evenly, and seems more vibrant a black on this first test. Compared to the purple undertones in RIT's black, iDye is more on the blue side although not nearly as noticeable. For a thin champion disc, it looks much more black than the results I've seen from RIT's black on similar plastic. Curious to see how it turns out on a white disc.

The Bad: I tired some of the regular red she used for dyeing the denim on a white star disc and it didn't take at all, so make sure to get the iDye Poly, the regular iDye does not work.

Slightly more expensive at $3.59 vs. $2.49 for powdered RIT, but same price as liquid RIT. It's also easily available in bulk from jacquard. The only downside is they currently only make iDye poly in 8 colors: Black, Brown, Green, Blue, Violet, Red, Orange, Yellow. While mixing is possible, they don't currently offer a color chart like RIT to help out and I'm not sure some colors could be made like fuchsia, lighter shades of blue, and greys. But they do have most of base colors most commonly used, and maybe with enough demand from us they'll put out more.