Dyeing heavy coat in plastic tub?
  • I have a heavy, lined, beige coat that I wish to dye. I would like to dye it grey/black. I have tried one round of dyeing with regular idye already (for natural fibres, thinking the coat was 100% cotton) and the dye did not take very evenly (possibly a cotton/poly blend?), so I used a dye remover and am starting again with one package of regular idye and one package of idye poly.

I can't find a big enough pot to allow me to dye this coat evenly on the stove. I am more concerned about having even colour than achieving a deep black, so I am thinking of dyeing it in a rubbermaid tub -- does it make sense to do it this way? Does anyone have experience / recommendations? My concern is that I won't be able to keep the temperature high for too long, so I don't know what results to expect.

Thanks in advance for your help!
  • iDye for Natural Fiber and iDye Poly are hot water dyes and require near boiling temperatures for best colors. In order to achieve a true black, you will almost always need to simmer the dyebath on the stove top. You might try going to a second hand store to find a pot big enough.
    iDye for Natural Fibers Black tends to lean toward the red color space while iDye Poly leans toward the green color space. These colors become more evident with lower concentrations/lower temperatures/shorter dye times. So, it is possible that if the temperature is not maintained then you may end of with some shade of brown instead of black.

Jenny
  • Thanks for your feedback, Jenny. Well, my curiosity got the better of me and I did end up dyeing it in the plastic tub afterall - I added small amounts of near-boiling water to it periodically to keep the temperature up, and I left it in for an hour, agitating continuously.

The coat ended up a very dark purple, which was unexpected but still quite pretty.

The only problem is that there are now a few very small (~pea-sized or smaller) dark spots scattered around the coat that are slightly visible through the purple -- do you have any idea what might have caused these, and how I might be able to lighten them? I thought about taking stain remover and a toothbrush to them, but I don't want the surrounding colour to fade.

Thanks again,

Sarra
  • Spotting is often caused by two things. First, is that the dye was not completing dissolved and ended up landing on the fabric, greating super concentrated areas of dye. Second, is that the fabric had something on the fabric, such as oil or grease, that attracted the dye (sometimes these spots can repell dye instead).

Unfortunately, there isn't really a way to remove just the spots. You'd have to remove the dye, scour the jacket to try to remove the oil/grease-if that was the cause rather than undissolved dye- and redye it. There is always a possibility that whatever is on there is there to stay.

Jenny
  • I live in an area of heavy Hispanic influence. At some grocery stores - especially during the holidays - I see HUGE cooking pots for sale but even though I really enjoy the food I am not sure what they are used for. It could probably hold a regular length coat. These pots may be made of aluminum, so not sure how that will mix with dye.
  • We do not recommend using aluminum when dyeing as it can react with the dyes and affect the results. If you can find a nice big stainless steel or enamel pot that would be best (I found my big canning pot at the local 2nd hand store)