dying vintage 30s rayon dress
  • I have a very very light grey vintage rayon dress...faded and with some areas of tan almost... hoping to dye it some jeweltone that evens it out...(I have plenty of black and navy dresses) so am hoping for something more interesting..purple, deep rose...? Anyway, I want to do this in as mild a way as possible....in cold water prefered over hot... have never dyed anything in my life... and am looking for advice..can I use a product without soda ash or a mordant first? all comments welcome..

thank you!
  • Dyes are transparent, so it would be best to try to remove the color first-either with Jacquard Color Remover or with bleach (bleach damages fabric, so it really is a backup suggestion if the color remover doesn't work). Then once the color is removed, you can dye it with either Jacquard Procion MX Dye or iDye for Natural Fibers. In this case, I would recommend the Procion MX Dye. Instructions for use can be found on our website here: http://www.jacquardproducts.com/products/dyes/procionmx/instructions1.php

Jenny