Best product for application to nylon?
  • I am looking for the best product to use for painting a logo on a 6' x 10' nylon field runner flag. Because it is a flag I don't want to stiffen it any more than absolutely necessary and would like for the color to be as colorfast as possible. The flag is white; I will need black and red only and will be hand-painting the logo. I have some concerns about using a dye that must be steamed or heat-set; a flag of that size is going to be difficult to steam on top of my stove! Any suggestions/advice/dont's would be greatly appreciated.
  • First, the fabric must be untreated. If the flag has been coated with anything (such as fire retardants, waterproofing, etc.) then it will prevent fixation of dyes and paints. Assuming that this is not the case, your best bet is probably Dye-Na-Flow. Dye-Na-Flow is a flowable and transparent fabric paint (so you'll need to work with resists in order to control the flow) which can be heat set with an iron. You can also add Jacquard Airfix or Versatex Fixer to the paint before it is applied in order to air cure the piece.

Jenny
  • Thanks Jenny! Is there anything I can treat the nylon with to remove any unknown treatments?
  • Those coatings will probably come off, but you won't know if they have or not unless you actually go through the whole process of painting/fixing/washing.

Our suggestion would be to wash it repeatedly with very hot water, Synthrapol and soda ash.

Jenny
  • Those coatings will probably come off, but you won't know if they have or not unless you actually go through the whole process of painting/fixing/washing.

Our suggestion would be to wash it repeatedly with very hot water, Synthrapol and soda ash.

Jenny