• I would like to dye a green silk dress a darker shade of green. I have bought some acid dye in Spruce, and already practiced on another skirt using Purple. However, although it dyed evenly and is a nice colour, the water is still running purple after many rinses and 2 washes in Synthrapol. I also think the skirt has shrunk a bit. I use the stove top method. Any hints to make the dye permanent and avoid shrinkage?
  • Was the other skirt 100% silk as well? What were your ratios? What temperature are you using to rinse/wash it?

Jacquard Acid dyes are a hot water dye, so shrinkage will just be a part of the territory when it comes to using these dyes. Lowering the temperature means that you are risking the dyes not coming out correctly since some dye colors/components will strike at different temperatures.

Another option would be to use the Procion MX dyes and follow the immersion dyeing for protein fiber instructions. You don't need as high of temperatures for dyeing silk as you do with the acid dyes.

Jenny
  • Thank you for the prompt reply.
    The other skirt IS 100% silk. The rinsing was the one bit I wasn't sure about (I'm completely new to this). I started off rinsing in warm water (to avoid 'shocking' the fabric), and finished off with a cold rinse. I have also rewashed it since dying. I'm not sure what you mean by 'ratios'?! I used one 0.5 oz tub of dye and half a small cup of vinegar. I left it in the dye for half an hour.
    silkie.
  • I asked about the ratios (dye/water/vinegar) because a super concentrated dye bath could mean that alot of excess dye is just sitting on the fabric and needing to be removed.

Violets do tend to not be as washfast as other colors, but I'd give it a shot washing it a few more times. Set your washing machine to warm water, add some vinegar and put it on the longest cycle. Then repeat. If you are still having issues, you can contact us directly at [email="service@jacquardproducts.com"]service@jacquardproducts.com[/email]

Jenny
  • Thank you. I'll try that.
  • I forgot to ask, are Procion MX dyes as good on silk as acid dyes? I bought the acid dyes after reading that they are by far the best for silk. If I could use a dye which uses a lower temperature, I would be happier!
  • Indeed, Jacquard Acid dyes are the best dyes for silk. However, if you are concerned about the temperature that you are using to dye, then it is worth giving Procion MX dyes a shot. Many people dye silk using it and are happy with the results. It really comes down to testing it and seeing if you are satisfied with the results.

Jenny
  • In theory, a commercial cationic dye fixative, such as the iDye Fixative, ought to work well on acid dyes, since these dyes have a negative molecular charge.

-Paula
  • Thanks, I think I may have to try it, as rewashing still seems to have made no difference. What are the disadvantages of Procion MX dyes on silk? I'm now confused about why acid dyes are considered the best.
  • You can use Procion MX dyes two different ways on silk.

If you use them with an acid, such as vinegar, and use heat, they act as acid dyes, and have no advantages over other acid dyes (except for convenience in the case of those who already have Procion MX dyes on hand).

If you use Procion MX dyes with soda ash on silk, the results are more permanent and much more wash-proof than acid dyes, and no heat is needed in the dyeing process, since the dye reaction can take place in room temperature water. However, the soda ash tends to soften the silk a little bit, and make it slightly less shiny, which is fine for a soft, drapey silk, but will ruin the stiff shininess of taffeta.

-Paula
  • Thank you, that's really helpful. I can now experiment with those dyes before finally deciding which to use on the dress. Thanks again for all the help.