Multiple colors on lycra(spandex)/nylon combo.
  • I found the perfect pattern for a unitard and am purchasing it in white and would like to dye/paint it green and yellow. Like this: http://images.elfwood.com/fanq/k/a/kaity01/xmen_rogue.jpg (So the majority is green with essentially a yellow stripe down the middle.)

Given the fabric is a Lycra(spandex)/nylon blend, what is my best option? Dye it green and then paint with a yellow opaque? Is the yellow block too big to paint?

Any tips would be helpful. Thanks.
  • You might want to consider Dye-Na-Flow. This is a very easy to use, light-bodied, fabric paint. The effect is very much like that of a dye - leaving your fabric very soft. You will want to create a resist line between the two colors or use a product like No Flow which will help control the flow of the paint so that you can achieve the nice sharp lines between the two colors. Take a look at the web page for the different products - if you have any more questions let us know.

anet
  • Thank you!

One more question: How do I estimate how much Dye-Na-Flow or No Flow I need?
  • That can be a little tricky if you are painting a very large surface, but based on the image you sent with your first post, I'd say you will be fine with 8 ounces of each color and probably 8 ounces of the No Flow as well. It wouldn't be necessary to treat the entire unitard with the No Flow - just the areas where the two colors border each other.
    Also, I encourage you to do a bit of testing on a similar fabric before proceeding with your unitard. Giving yourself the opportunity to experience how the paint will flow with and with out the No Flow will help to ensure success.
    anet