Emerald Green issues
  • Hi, I am not new to dyeing with Jacquard dyes. I am however new to using them on Alpaca fiber. I recently dyed using 24 different colors on 4 different types of fiber (Cormo/Ramboulett, Alpaca, Mohair and Merino/Ramboulett). I found that most of the dyes took up/exhausted some with a little more 'help' than the others ie: Some of the reds and blues required a bit more time in the heat or a bit more vinegar added to the bath to exhaust. My question / issue though has to do with the Emerald I used on the Alpaca. With all dyes I used the same process: I used a Quart size canning jar, 2 oz alpaca fiber (in sliver form) which had soaked for 45 min in very warm water, 1/8tsp Jacquard Acid dye, 2 tbsp White Vinegar and finally filled the jar with very warm water. I ensured that they dye was completely desolved prior to adding to the canning jar. Then I simmered in my canning pot for 20 min and left all jars to cool overnight. As previously stated most of the other colors exhausted completely. The Emerald however even after a 2nd cooking not only did not exhaust but after TWENTY FIVE (25) rinses continues to bleed dye. This makes the fiber completely unsuitable for any use. I have tried to re-wash / re-rinse in both hot, luke warm, and / or cold water. I have added vinegar to some of the rinses.... all to no avail.
    Any and all suggestions will be considered.
    Thank you in advance.
  • Hi there,

I will have a discussion with our chemist first thing tomorrow and get back to you on this.
    You are welcome to call in if you'd like: 800-442-0455 and ask for me, Annette
  • First of all, I’d like to thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. Continued product improvement is extremely important to us. Upon reading your post, we pulled a number of batches and began dying animal hair, wool etc. Our initial findings were right in line with your post. The wash out was extreme which resulted in a drab, almost Kelly green color on the substrate. We also noticed that the washout was very blue in tone. This tells us that while 2 of the 3 components are striking and fixing to the protein, a third component (a turquoise) finds the substrate undesirable. In our opinion this does not make for the best possible product. We will begin an immediate search for a colorant that will give us the same shade, while offering improved fixation on alpaca, wool, mohair etc.

That said, we do have an immediate solution to your problem. We have a product called Jacquard iDye Fixative. Use this in your rinse bath immediately after the alpaca is pulled from the dye bath. All components of the Emerald green will be fixed immediately. You will not experience any more washout following this process. I would like to send you some dyed samples, as well as a bottle of fixative (gratis) for your inspection and use. Please contact our customer service at 800 442 0455 so that we may arrange to send this to you.
    Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact me directly.
    Once again, thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Monte Weatherby
    Chief Operating Officer