Steaming
  • Hi every one. I am new to dyeing. I dyed a silk dress in a
    rust color. The color came just the way I wanted them.
    But when I steamed the dress, the color was totally gone from several
    places. I have lot of white big and small circles. Looks more like
    a tie dye. Can some one help me why it happened. So I won't
    repeat my mistake. Thanks a lot.
  • Can you give us some more information so that we can troubleshoot with you? Which dye did you use, how did you use it? Any clarification would be helpful.

Thanks.
  • Colors were green label jacquard dye. I line dry the dress first in the sun.

Wrapped it well with the newspaper before putting in the steamer.
    Thanks again for help.
  • Hi,

How did you apply the dye? Did you paint it on or immerse the entire piece? Did you prewash the item?

anet
  • Yes, the item was pre washed. I immerse the whole piece.
  • How much water did you use, and how much dye? How long did you stir your dress with the dye?

Small amounts of water are good for giving a variegated effect, as in low water immersion dyeing. However, the usual method for dyeing solid colors involves a large amount of water.

You need lots of water, and lots of stirring, to dye a perfectly smooth solid color. A dress that weighs half a pound when dry will work well when dyed in one and a half gallons of water, plus dye and auxilliary chemicals; a one-pound dress will do better in three gallons of water. A smooth solid color with a hot water dye is best achieved by simmering the garment plus the dye in a very large dyeing pot, and stirring and stirring, rather than by wrapping the garment up and steaming it. Steaming is a great method for heat setting after painting a design with dye.

If you want to create a perfectly smooth solid color on a silk dress, you will do better with carefully following a good recipe, preferably using a washing machine for the constant stirring, for either Procion MX dyes with soda ash, or Jacquard Acid Dyes with a mild acid such as vinegar. It is possible to immersion dye with Green Label Silk Colors, which contain Remazol dyes pre-mixed with an acid, but these dyes are really designed for painting designs with dyes.

-Paula