Water-Based Resist Questions
  • I recently started two projects using the Jacquard permanent water-based resist, black 881 on 5mm habotai silk. The first piece stuck to the tracing paper pattern, embedding pieces of paper in the resist that allowed the dyes to bleed over borders. This was quite a surprise since this didn't happen when using the clear gutta. The second piece I stretched above the paper pattern to trace onto the silk, was very happy with the fluidity of the resist and will work this way in the future with it.

I am fearful of rolling the silk in newsprint for the steaming process due to the stickiness issue, is there an alternate material that people have been successful with? Also this resist has a very rubbery hand to it, sticking to itself if the scarf is folded and dragging on the skin when pulled across a persons neck or shoulders. Is there any way to soften it or make it less sticky?

I am new to silk painting and unfamiliar with other product possibilities for this type of work. Thank you for any advice

• Hi
    You should iron the resist before steaming that should help remove the sticky feeling and is needed to set the resist. You could wrap the silk in clean thin cotton to steam and that shouldnt stick to the resist. though any paper will wash out of the fabric after its steamed.
    Celia