Mixing Colors - How much to use?
  • Hi all! I have a light khaki-colored skirt that I wish to be a brown-olive green. It is 100% polyester.
    So, I was wondering, should I get iDye Poly in Green and Brown and put them in together? Do them one at a time? Should I use a whole packet of each? What kind of ratio would you think?
    Since it already has somewhat of a color, I wouldn't need the dyes to be as intense as I would if it were stark white, (at least that's what I think anyway)

Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks so much!
  • ....addressing issues of color are always a bit of a gamble, but here's how I would go about changing a khaki color to brown-olive: I'd start by over dyeing with just the green. I'd predissolve the dye in a quart of hot water and use between 1/8th & 1/4 of the dye solution in the stove top method (amount of dye would depend on just how dark I want the finished product.) After rinsing and drying, I'd be able to decide whether to go forward with additional dyeing. If I decided I wanted it darker or more brown I'd predissolve the brown, and again using the stove top method, mix the remaining green and an equal amount of the brown (or maybe a little less of the brown as it may over power the green or if you'd like it more brownish, maybe just a 1/4 portion of the brown) and proceed with the dyeing.
    As you can see - it is a bit of guess work and finessing and willingness to 'go with the flow'

have fun!