iDye silvery grey = dark olive green!
  • I was excited to try this new product (iDye) that I found in a local shop. I followed all the instructions for stovetop use, but was very sad and upset to find that my pre-washed white t-shirt instead of turning silvery-grey came out a darkish olive green, kind of similar to "army-man green"

The pan I was using was a stainless steel pan, the salt that I added was plain-non-iodized salt, and this is not the first time I have done stovetop dyeing.

Since I do not like the olive-drab color at all, should I buy some color remover and try again with a different type of dye? In the past I have used several different kinds of fiber reactive dye with great success, and have also used Jaquard acid dye on wool, also with good results. I've never seen anything like this before, and the other older piece of fabric that I also put into the dyepot also turned green rather than grey.

Help or useful suggestions gladly accepted...
  • I haven't tried the color remover (though I have some on hand). However, I have found that iDye colors that contain black do tend to produce olive. I have had this happen with both iDye poly and regular iDye.

Since the blacks are a mix, my theory is that something in how I am processing is not creating the right environment for all the colors that create the black mix to strike, but I haven't quite figured out what I need to do differently since I am following the instructions.

For the record, I have had very good results with other iDye colors. It just seems to be a problem with the blacks.