Inkjet silk paper backing
  • What do I need to do to develop a knack for peeling the paper off the back of the inkjet silk sheets?
    It is not coming off well at all.

The instructions say I don't need to wash these prints if I am using the prints on an item that is not likely to be washed. However, there is so much paper and glue being left behind, how can I skip the washing step?

Also, I noticed other threads here, with a similar question about the paper peeling difficulties and the moderator advised the customer to steam the silk sheets? I thought these inkjet sheets did not require steaming.

Please confirm instructions for more satisfactory results.
    Thanks
  • Hello,
    For whatever reason on certain sheets the backing doesn't release as easily. Steaming should not only make the colors more permanent but should also help release the backing that’s stuck to he silk. Below are the instructions.

Steaming

Steaming requires more time, but the color yield is very intense. There are commercial steamers available or smaller pieces can be steamed at home with the following method. You will need a large pot with a rack that fits inside, white newsprint, masking tape, and aluminum foil.

•Roll the fabric in unprinted newsprint, making sure there is a layer of paper between each roll of fabric. The paper should extend a few inches beyond the fabric on either end of the roll.
    •When all the fabric has been rolled, wrap newsprint around the bundle a few extra times. Secure the roll by taping length of roll. Coil gently to a size that will fit into the pot. Tape securely.
    •Place rack into the pot. Pour water to a level that is well below the bottom of the rack. Make sure top of rack is dry and place bundle on the rack.
    •Shape a piece of aluminum foil into a dome and place it over the bundle for protection. This will keep condensation from dripping on the silk. Make sure neither the packet nor the foil touches the sides of the pot.
    •Cover the pot with the lid. Place the pot on the stove and bring water to a boil. Reduce the heat but keep it high enough to produce steam. Steam the packet for 1 hour. Allow packet to cool. Unwrap the silk and rinse in cool water to remove excess dye. Lay flat to dry and you're done.

Celia