Question! Tie-Dying Tights/Pantyhose?
  • I'm new to Jacquard products and I recently bought some Procion MX dyes. I wanted to know if this product will work on dying tights/pantyhose? Or do I have to purchase Acid Dye for that? :confused:

I just don't want to go through all the work and find out that the dye doesn't stick to this fabric..

Thank so much!
  • Which dye you can use depends entirely on the fiber content of the item you wish to dye.

Use Procion MX fiber reactive dyes with soda ash only on cellulose fibers, such as cotton, rayon, linen, or hemp. It works wonderfully on white tights made of 92% cotton and 8% spandex.

For nylon tights, use acid dyes. If you have nylon/spandex blend tights, be careful not to damage the spandex with high heat. See "How to dye spandex".

You can turn Procion MX dyes into acid dyes, for use on nylon and wool, by substituting vinegar or another acid for the soda ash, and adding a moist-heat-setting step. See "Fiber reactive dyes on protein fibers".

Don't even try to dye polyester/spandex tights, because the high heat required to dye polyester will destroy spandex. Instead, use a fabric paint, such as Dye-Na-Flow, to color polyester/spandex tights.

Also see "How to bleach and dye pantyhose".

Paula