IDYE product
  • I tried the IDYE product on some light weight muslin fabric and the result was not good. The package instructions were very vague. I had to search the Internet for clarification on what temperature to use and whether or not I should be using salt or vinegar (white or dark). I also had to look for the correct measurement of salt or vinegar, because the instructions did not reference what to do or at least a website link to use for help. I used the following link:

http://www.jacquardproducts.com/products/dyes/idye/instructions.php

After the wash and rinse cycle, the color looked like "royal purple" and that was what I wanted. I completed the steps by using a mild detergent and the fabric still looked great "wet."

When I opened the dryer, I received the unsuccessful results of this product. My muslin was the shade of lilac with dark areas and others that looked washed out as if I had washed the fabric over a period of years.

This is a gift and I now find myself looking for a way to fix this mishap before Christmas.

Vassage,
    "Very Dissatisfied Customer"

• I just read the instructions for myself , i personally don't see them as vague , I would try and redye it and leave it in longer for a darker color anything you dye will ALWAYS look darker when wet .

a few questons did you make sure they dye was fully dissolved after adding it to the water as well as the salt/vinegar ? how long did you dye it in the heat for?
  • I just tried to dye my grandmother's cashmere sweater black with idye, the instructions on the package are very vague so I followed the link above. I did the stove method and used vinegar and have a mottled purple grey result. Very disappointing. Reminds me of the Rit dyes from the grocery store. I asked if this was the same product at the art store where I purchased it and was told these (idyes) were much better. There was a fiber artist working there and she told me to use salt but I followed the link and used vinegar. Any suggestions? (I left it in for over an hour) :(
  • To dye cashmere black, use an acid dye instead. Follow the instructions closely. Whenever dyeing anything black, use four times as much dye powder as you would use for a lighter color.

Paula