Issue with Liquid Reactive Dyes congealing?
  • Hello good people at Jacquard,

I'm wondering if anybody has had the experience of these dyes congealing inside the bottle. I've had a few colours have some globs before, but they seem ok once I dilute them with water. My issue this time is that it's not just *some* globs -- I have a bottle of 602 Red that is less than a month old purchased from Dharma that's a solid gelatinous mass.

I can't be bothered returning the product due to the shipping cost involved --that's just not cost effective for me -- but I am wondering if the dye is still really effective. I've had to deal with the acid dyes congealing by just heating them up again, but I am perplexed about what to do with these.

Any insight or recommendation as to how to return these to their expected consistency would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Darlene
  • Hi Darlene,

Gelling is an occasional problem for this type of dye. If you warm the the dye that should resolubilize the 'globs' and will not affect the viability of the dye.
    If you'd give us a call here at Jacquuard we'd love to chat more about this with you.

anet
  • Thanks, anet

I'm going to try to squeeze some out of the bottle tooth-paste style so I can heat up just a small quantity at a time. I'm thinking that if I heat up the whole bottle, it will just get all jelly-like again by the next time I have to use it anyhow. I can't see that heating the undiluted dye over and over again is very good for it, seeing that it's reactive dye. I might be wrong, but I might be right, so I am erring on the side of caution.

I will let you know if anything noteworthy transpires.

Darlene
  • Hi Darlene,

Thanks for the update. I'm very curious to know what your results are, as I'm sure, are many other dyers.

anet