Idye poly Goosedown vest help!
  • I'm doing a Marty Mcfly (Back to the Future) halloween costume and am not entirely happy with the current (Burnt Orange) goose down vest I own. In the film it looks a little more reddish in color. The vest is 100% polyester, and I've purchased idye Poly in red. Before I start the dye process I wanted to reach out and find what my best course of action would be. I do not want the vest to turn out tie-dyed. I would just leave it as is, rather than risk blowing my whole costume 3 days before halloween. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also is there anyway to "Puff" the vest up? I gather it's over 20 years old, and was just curious if there was any way to give it that original puft look. Thanks in advance for any responses.
  • In as much as you are talking about a down vest and have only three days to complete the costume you may want to use a fabric paint like Dye-Na-Flow rather than a dye. This will avoid the full immersion which may further compress the down and will give you a bit more control with the color application.
    Keep in mind that both the dye and Dye-Na-Flow are transparent so the existing color of the vest is going to affect the final outcome.
    About Dye-Na-Flow; this is a transparent, very flowable fabric paint. It can be applied with a foam brush and you do want to be certain to paint so that you are working to the wet edge as once the paint drys you may get lines where the wet paint comes up against the dry.
    As for poofing the vest - the only thing I know that works with down is to give it a good shaking.
    anet